Whether you’re crushing a HIIT workout or pushing heavy weight, having the right athletic shoe is key to performance. For decades, New Balance has been a leader in high-quality training footwear that provides the comfort, support and durability active feet need.
In this post, we’ll highlight the top 4 best-selling New Balance shoes for training of all types. Learn the benefits and features of each top model to find your perfect match. We’ll also give expert tips on choosing the best NB training shoes for your individual needs. Let’s get moving!
New Balance stands out in the crowded athletic shoe market by not just meeting, but anticipating athletes’ needs. With advanced technologies like FuelCell, REVlite and Ndurance rubber, New Balance helps you beat PRs safely. They also offer footwear tailored specifically for training disciplines like cross-training, HIIT, weightlifting and more.
While performance comes first, New Balance also delivers style. Athletic shoes incorporate bold colors, prints and silhouettes that look great on and off the gym floor. With the wide selection of training-focused New Balance kicks, there’s a pair ready to help you tackle any workout.
The Best 4 New Balance Training Shoes
1. New Balance Minimus Prevail
The Minimus Prevail provides a barely-there feel for agile workouts like HIIT, cardio, and plyometrics. It’s built for fast footwork with ultimate flexibility.
- 4mm drop encourages midfoot strike
- Single piece upper is light and flexible
- Vibram outsole for grip
- REVlite midsole for soft landings
- Normal width
- Extremely lightweight and close-to-barefoot feel
- Low, flexible profile
- Breathable mesh upper
- Grippy and fast-transitioning
- Minimal cushioning and support
- Poor durability of outsole
- Not for recovery days
- High intensity interval training
- Agility drills, plyometrics, speedwork
- Bodyweight exercises and cardio
Price: $100 – $130
The crazy-light Minimus Prevail engages feet for fast, functional workouts.
2. New Balance 4040v5
The 4050v5 delivers lightweight stability for tough training while guarding against injury. It’s an workhorse built for gym miles.
- 8mm drop
- ROLLBAR support system
- Dual-density midsole
- Mesh upper with TPU welds
- Normal/wide widths
- Light and fast with medial support
- Breathable yet structured upper
- Cushioned but stable; locks foot in
- Versatile for myriad training needs
- Snug toe box for some
- Stiffer than pure running shoes
- Not made for heavy lifting
- HIIT, cross-training, boot camps
- High mileage gym sessions
- Moderate overpronators
Price: $130 – $150
The 4040v5 brings enhanced support to fast-paced, high-impact workouts.
3. New Balance 811v5
The New Balance 811v5 provides lightweight cushioning in a stripped down, speedy silhouette. It’s built to inject run energy into training.
- Heel drop: 6mm
- FRESH FOAM midsole
- Engineered mesh upper
- Rubber outsole with flex grooves
- Normal/wide widths
- Light, snappy, responsive cushioning
- Highly breathable upper
- Smooth transitions for plyos and agility
- Versatile indoor/outdoor use
- Minimal stability features
- Low durability at high mileage
- Lacks wide sizing options
- Cross training involving running
- HIIT, boot camps, cardio
- Short, fast training sessions
Price: $110 – $130
The 811v5 brings fast, flexible cushioning to your most strenuous, sweaty workouts.
4. New Balance Metcon 6
The Metcon 6 tackles demanding training like a pro with features made for high-intensity lifting, running, and beyond. It’s a gym shoe superstar.
- 4mm heel-to-toe drop
- Broad stable base
- Hypoknit upper provides foot security
- Dual-density midsole for balance of cushioning and stability
- Normal width
- Highly stable platform for lifting
- Light and fast with energy return
- Roomy toe box
- Grippy tread ideal for climbing ropes or box jumps
- Snug, narrow fit for some
- Minimal arch support
- Higher price tag
- CrossFit, HIIT, bootcamps
- Weightlifting and gym circuits
- High intensity training of all kinds
Price: $160 – $200
The Metcon 6 can grind through the toughest training you can throw at it while begging for more.
There you have it – four of New Balance’s hottest training shoes engineered to take on tough gym miles. Keep these top models in mind as we go over factors to consider when finding your perfect pair.
How to Choose the Best New Balance Training Shoes
With so many high-tech training shoes out there, focus on these key criteria when selecting New Balance footwear for working out:
- Training needs – Are you lifting, running sprints, climbing ropes? Shoes are built for specific activities. Align features to your training style.
- Fit and feel – Determine your foot width, cushioning needs, and preferred heel drop. Trying on shoes is ideal.
- Advanced technologies – REVlite, FuelCell, antimicrobial linings and other tech enhances performance.
- Durability – Training shoes need to withstand intense mileage. Inspect for signs of high-quality, durable materials.
- Weight – Typically between 8-12 oz. Lighter shoes favor speed; heavier provide more stability.
- Style preferences – While secondary, New Balance offers many colorways to suit your taste.
- Budget – Advanced performance tech comes at a higher cost, but deals can be found.
- Material care – Mesh and synthetic uppers clean up easily; leather needs more care.
Using these criteria helps narrow options to find your ideal workout shoe match. Still have questions? Check the FAQs below.
Frequently Asked Questions About New Balance Training Shoes
Q1: Are New Balance shoes good for the gym/training?
A: Yes, New Balance makes many shoes specifically designed for the demands of gym workouts, weightlifting, HIIT training, and more. Models like the 811v5, 4040v5 and Metcon 6 offer features ideal for a variety of training needs.
Q2: Are New Balance training shoes durable?
A: New Balance training shoes are built to withstand high-intensity mileage in the gym. However, some shoes favor lightweight speed over durability. Inspect shoes for signs of quality materials and construction for long-lasting performance.
Q3: Are New Balance training shoes good for wide feet?
A: Many New Balance training shoes like the 4040v5 and Metcon 6 come in wide sizes to accommodate wider feet. However, some models like the Minimus Prevail are only in standard width. Trying on shoes is recommended to find the ideal fit.
Q4: Are New Balance training shoes good for flat feet?
A: Yes, some New Balance training shoes are excellent for flat feet, like the stability-enhanced 4040v5. Other models offer less arch support. Seek out training shoes with medial posts, Torsion systems and motion control.
Q5: Are New Balance training shoes good for cross-training?
A: Yes, New Balance cross-trainers are optimized for the demands of high-intensity functional training. Models like the Metcon 6 and 811v5 provide the stability, cushioning, and flex needed for this type of workout.
Q6: What is the drop on New Balance training shoes?
A: Heel-to-toe drop on New Balance training models ranges from low (4-6mm for more barefoot feel) to higher drop shoes around 10mm. Choose drop based on preference – lower drop encourages midfoot strike.
Q7: Are New Balance training shoes good for running?
A: While designed for lateral moves, New Balance training shoes can work for running short distances. However, true running shoes like the Fresh Foam More v1 better suit frequent road running for miles. Always match the shoe to activity.
Q8: Are New Balance training shoes good for weightlifting?
A: Yes, some training-focused New Balance shoes excel for weightlifting. Look for a flat, stable base and features like external TPU heel counters for keeping the foot firmly planted when lifting heavy.
Q9: How do you clean New Balance training shoes?
A: Use a soft brush to clear dirt from the outsoles after training. Clean stains on uppers with mild soap and water. Never submerge shoes in water or use harsh chemicals. Avoid putting shoes in washing machine or dryer.
Q10: Can you put New Balance training shoes in the washing machine?
A: It’s best not to machine wash shoes as it can degrade materials. However, some durable training shoes may hold up to occasional gentle cycles. Use cold water, gentle detergent and air dry completely out of direct sunlight.
We hope these shoe tips help you train your hardest in complete comfort! Let us know if you have any other New Balance training shoe questions.
Find Your Perfect Training Pair
There you have it – a complete guide to selecting the best New Balance training shoes to unlock your athletic potential. Keep these top models in mind and use our tips to find the right footwear for your workouts.
With the correct NB training kicks, you can push your limits in the gym and on running paths without pain or injury. Well-fitting shoes provide a solid foundation so you can focus, get out of your head, and do the work. We can’t wait to hear which training shoe helps you smash new records and feel your best!
We hope this info helps you find training shoes tailored to your unique feet and fitness life. Let us know if you have any other questions on New Balance footwear. Now get out there, lace up your favorite pair, and train like the champion you are!