Guys, it’s time to talk about shoes. As a brand, New Balance has earned a reputation for designing high-performing kicks suited specifically for male feet. Their shoes combine technologies engineered for athletic performance, key fit/sizing options, and enduring styling to meet men’s needs.
With so many New Balance men’s shoes to consider, it can be challenging to select the right model for your particular foot shape, gait, and intended uses. In this post, we’ll cover the top 4 recommended New Balance shoes for men across different categories. We’ll also provide insider tips to choose shoes personalized for your feet and needs.
Whether you need a cushioned trainer, lightweight racer, stability shoe or retro sneaker, read on to find your perfect New Balance pair!
The Best 4 New Balance Men’s Shoes
New Balance serves up excellence across the board for men’s footwear. Here are 4 standout models:
1. New Balance 990v5
The 990v5 is an icon in the running world. As a cushy yet stable trainer, this made-in-the-USA shoe logs miles in supreme comfort.
The 990v5 surrounds feet in plush ENCAP midsole cushioning while still providing supportive control thanks to stability elements like ABZORB and the Rollbar medial post.
Breathable mesh uppers, blown rubber outsoles, and premium construction complete the package on this luxurious daily trainer ready to almost make you forget you’re working out. Treat your feet right!
2. New Balance FuelCell RC Elite v2
Lighten up and fly fast in the FuelCell RC Elite v2 racing flat. Outfitted with a full-length carbon fiber plate, this speedster rips through intervals and PRs on race day.
The bouncy responsive FuelCell foam provides a firm, propulsive ride. Engineered mesh hugs the foot in featherweight comfort, making this neutral racer disappear over long distances.
Whether you’re chasing a new 5K record or gunning for marathon glory, the RC Elite keeps you cranking at top speed in featherweight bliss.
3. New Balance 860v12
Overpronators, this one’s for you! The 860v12 provides mild-stability for smooth alignment mile after mile.
A firm medial post integrated into the midsole guides foot motion while ample cushioning softens landings. Breathable engineered mesh allows airflow across the top of the foot.
As a durable daily trainer with enhanced motion control, this shoe shines for neutral to moderate overpronators who need a little extra support when racking up the road miles.
4. New Balance 57/40
This lifestyle sneaker combines vintage sport styling with modern comfort technologies for good looks that take you anywhere.
Premium suede and nylon uppers in classic color combos give a retro runner vibe while the ENCAP midsole cushions every step. Traditional lacing secures the foot.
Whether you’re headed to brunch or strolling a city sidewalk, the 57/40 brings together covetable heritage style with the comfort New Balance is known for.
How to Choose Your Perfect New Balance Pair
Selecting the right performance or lifestyle shoe starts by answering a few key questions:
Consider Intended Use
Think about how and where you will wear the shoes:
- For road running, look for neutral or stability trainers with continuous outsoles. Racers have lightweight plates.
- For trail adventures, prioritize grip, protection and support for unpredictable terrain.
- For the gym/training, choose flexible shoes to move naturally in all directions.
- For casual wear, lifestyle shoes blend vintage styling with athletic comfort.
Matching a shoe’s design and features to your needs establishes the right foundation.
Learn the Technologies
- Cushioning systems like Fresh Foam and ENCAP absorb shock and fatigue.
- Stability elements including medial posts and T-Beam provide pronation control.
- Carbon fiber plates deliver snappy, propulsive rides.
- Rubber outsoles are engineered for road, trail or gym surfaces.
- Mesh uppers allow cooling airflow to feet.
Evaluate Fit and Sizing
- Try shoes on to feel fit and comfort rather than assuming your normal size.
- New Balance offers wide 4E and extra wide 6E on select models to accommodate different foot shapes.
- Consider trying half sizes up or down if between standard sizing.
- Analyze wear patterns on old shoes to identify potential fit adjustments needed.
- Overpronators need stability shoes with medial posts to prevent excessive inward rolling.
- Runners with rigid arches often prefer flexible soles for natural foot movement.
- Low heel-to-toe drops around 4-8mm encourage foot positioning closer to neutral.
Analyze Running Style
- Heavy runners and high mileage runners need lots of cushioning.
- Speedsters are better served by lightweight shoes that optimize momentum.
- Minimalist shoes encourage efficient mechanics while racers provide snappy response.
Compare Models and Styles
- Explore categories like stability, neutral cushioned, minimalist, trail/road, racing flats, retro lifestyle.
- Match attributes like cushioning, pronation control, weight, grip and flexibility to your needs and running style.
Know the Return Policy
- Try out shoes to ensure the fit and performance works for you before keeping.
- Understand New Balance’s exchange timing and terms to get the right size and model.
New Balance Men’s Shoes FAQs
Do New Balance shoes run big or small?
Every foot is unique but many shoes run slightly large – consider trying a half or full size down. Be sure to try on.
Where are New Balance shoes made?
Some New Balance shoes are still made in the USA like the 990v5 but many models are imported, usually from Asia. Quality is a priority regardless of manufacturing origin.
How long do New Balance shoes last?
Expect around 400-500 miles of performance from running shoes before cushioning breaks down. Lifestyle shoes last longer with less wear. Rotate pairs and replace when padding feels flat.
What are the most comfortable New Balance shoes?
Popular supremely comfortable options include the 990v5, 1080v11, More v3, 880v12 and 680v6. Plush midsole foams provide excellent shock absorption and cushioning.
Are New Balance shoes good for flat feet?
Yes, stability models that include medial or arch support like the 860v12, 1340v3 or 1540v3 provide excellent motion control and cushioning for flat feet and overpronation.
How do I clean New Balance shoes?
Use gentle soap and water, taking care not to soak mesh material. Spot clean stains. Remove laces and insoles to wash separately. Avoid machines to protect material integrity. Air dry.
Find Your Perfect Pair
With the right considerations of your foot type, running gait, athletic pursuits and style requirements, you’re sure to find New Balance men’s shoes to match your needs. While the 990v5, FuelCell RC Elite, 860v12 and 57/40 are great options, explore all the models to discover your ideal pair.
New Balance has you covered with excellent selections for stability, pronation correction, cushioning, speed, trails and casual wear. Now that you’re armed with insider tips for choosing what’s right for YOU, step out in your new kicks with confidence and comfort. Go get ‘em!