For over a century, New Balance has been a leader in athletic footwear known for their innovative technologies, premium materials and consistent quality. While many recognize New Balance for performance running shoes, their impressive women’s shoe lineup also includes stability, walking, training and lifestyle options to suit an array of needs.
With so many New Balance women’s shoes to choose from, it can be challenging finding the ideal pair tailored for your individual foot type, activities and style preferences.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover how to select the best New Balance women’s shoes based on factors like fit, cushioning, stability and intended use. We’ll recommend top rated models across categories to match your needs. Let’s explore how New Balance delivers fit, performance and style in women’s footwear.
How to Choose New Balance Women’s Shoes
Consider the following when shopping for New Balance women’s footwear:
Consider Intended Use
Think about your primary activities and needs to narrow options:
- Running – Flexible, breathable shoes with ample cushioning.
- Training – Durable support for lateral movements and weights.
- Walking – Cushioned with good shock absorption.
- Work – Slip-resistant safety features.
- Lifestyle – Stylish and comfortable for everyday wear.
Matching the shoe to its purpose optimizes performance.
Determine Pronation Needs
Your gait determines appropriate motion control systems:
- Overpronate – Need stability shoes to correct excessive inward foot rolling.
- Neutral – Can wear standard cushioned shoes.
- Underpronate – Require flexible shoes allowing natural pronation.
Visit a specialty store for a gait analysis to assess your needs.
Evaluate Cushioning Requirements
Cushioning provides shock absorption and rebound:
- High-Impact Activities – Require well-cushioned shoes.
- Low-Impact Activities – Need only moderate cushioning.
Heavier runners need more cushioning than lighter runners generally.
Assess Fit and Sizing
New Balance women’s shoes fit true to size for most. However, trying shoes on is recommended for ideal fit. Consider:
- Snug but with space for toes to wiggle
- Heel grips securely with no slippage
- Wide size options if you have broad feet
Compare Lightweight vs. Stability
Light shoes enhance speed but may lack support while stable shoes add weight but provide control. Choose based on your needs.
Check Toe Box Width
Higher mileage runners may prefer a wider toe box. New Balance offers wider sizes to accommodate.
Review Outsoles and Treads
Outsoles should match activities and surfaces:
- Road Running – Durable rubber with shallow flex grooves.
- Trail Running – Rugged lugs provide multi-surface grip.
- Gym Training – Sticky rubber for lateral traction.
- Walking – Textured rubber for flexibility and durability.
Check Supplementary Features
Consider additional attributes you may require:
- Motion Control – Prevents overpronation.
- Waterproofing – For wet conditions.
- Odor Resistance – Antimicrobial properties reduce odor.
Try Shoes On In-Store
Always test shoes on with athletic socks and walk/jog to determine optimal fit and comfort.
The Best New Balance Women’s Shoes
New Balance FuelCell Rebel v2
Best For: Speedwork, races
- Revamped snappy FuelCell foam
- Breathable engineered mesh upper
- Added GuideRails provide light stability
- Segmented rubber outsole
- Provides propulsive cushioning and toe-off
- Soft upper materials flex with foot
- Good for tempo runs and intervals
- Limited colors available
- Expensive at $175 CAD
The responsive Rebel v2 delivers a firm yet energetic ride perfect for faster training days.
New Balance 1080v12
Best For: Everyday runs
- Plush Fresh Foam X midsole
- Mesh upper for adaptive fit
- Segmented crash pad encourages smooth transitions
- Provides extremely soft yet stable cushioning
- Great for high mileage neutral runners
- Versatile for any run type or pace
- High price point due to premium features
With indulgent cushioning and support, the 1080v12 makes an exceptional daily trainer for neutral runners.
New Balance FuelCell Propel v2
Best For: Uptempo runs, HIIT training
- RevLite midsole foam provides snappy responsiveness
- Bootie construction prevents irritation
- Chevron tread enhances grip
- Breathable mesh upper
- Designed to pick up the pace during training
- Excellent cushioning to weight ratio
- Low-profile platform
- Limited color options
- Expensive at $160 CAD
The lightweight yet cushioned Propel v2 excels at fast-paced work like tempo runs and intervals.
New Balance 860v12
Best For: Stability
- Dual density medial POST prevents overpronation
- EVA and ABZORB foams provide cushioning
- Synthetic/mesh upper
- 12mm drop
- Excellent medial support
- Great for overpronators requiring motion control
- Also comes in wide sizes
- Runs narrow in toe box for some
With its stability-focused build, the 860v12 is ideal for overpronators requiring ample medial support.
New Balance 1540v3
Best For: Walking, everyday wear
- Rollbar technology provides medial and lateral stability
- Dual-density collar foam
- ABZORB cushioning absorbs shock
- Medicare/HCPCS code approved
- Maximum stability and arch support
- Extremely comfortable for long durations
- Also helpful for knee/hip issues
- Heavy for running
- Expensive at $185 CAD
With supreme cushioning and stability, the 1540v3 delivers premium comfort for all-day wear.
Frequently Asked Questions About New Balance Women’s Shoes
How do New Balance women’s shoes fit?
Most New Balance women’s shoes fit true to size. However, trying shoes on is recommended, as some may prefer sizing up or down. Wide sizes are also available.
What are the most comfortable New Balance women’s shoes?
Top rated options for comfort include the 1080v12, 990v5, 813, 1540v3, and 840v4 which offer plush cushioning and shock absorption.
What are the best New Balance shoes for plantar fasciitis?
Recommended models with excellent arch support and cushioning for plantar fasciitis include the 1080v12, 928v3, and 1540v3.
Are New Balance women’s shoes good for flat feet?
Yes, shoes like the 840v4, 928v3, and 990v5 provide the stability, firm midsoles, and arch support ideal for flat feet.
What is the best New Balance model for marathon training?
The 1080v12 is an excellent marathon training and racing shoe thanks to its soft Fresh Foam X midsole which provides responsive cushioning over long distances.
How do you clean New Balance women’s shoes?
Use a soft brush and mild detergent on outsoles. Clean uppers gently with a damp cloth. Never machine wash shoes. Allow to fully air dry.
How often should you replace running shoes?
Plan to replace women’s running shoes every 300-500 miles to prevent injury and improve performance as foam breaks down over time.
Where can you buy New Balance women’s shoes on sale?
Check New Balance’s official website for sales and clearance pricing on women’s shoes. Sign up for email to get discount alerts.
Do New Balance women’s shoes run true to size?
The majority of styles fit according to standard sizing. However, some women prefer sizing up or down for the ideal fit which depends on the model and shape of your feet.
What New Balance women’s shoes are best for narrow feet?
Some top options for narrow feet include the FuelCell Prism v2, 1080v12, CruzrOne v2, and Arishi v3 which have snugger profile fits.
Do New Balance women’s shoes come in wide widths?
Yes, many New Balance women’s athletic shoes are available in wider widths like 2A and D for a roomier fit to accommodate wider feet.
What are top rated walking shoes from New Balance?
Highly rated women’s walking shoes from New Balance include the 928v3, 1540v3, 847v3, and 626v2. They provide cushioning, support and stability.
Tips for Using New Balance Women’s Shoes
Follow these expert tips to get the most out of your New Balance women’s shoes:
- Break in new shoes gradually over 10-14 days, rotating pairs to allow adjustment time.
- Choose the right shoe designed specifically for your activity – running, training, walking, etc.
- Use custom orthotics if you need additional arch or heel support.
- For running shoes, track mileage logged and replace around every 300-500 miles.
- Shop end-of-season sales to buy next season’s styles discounted.
- Allow shoes a full 24 hours to air dry between wears to prevent odor issues.
- Store shoes properly on shelves out of direct sunlight when not wearing them.
- Ensure laces are tied snugly but not too tight. Your feet should not feel squeezed.
- Wear moisture wicking socks to minimize friction, sweat, and bacteria buildup.
- Don’t try to break in shoes through extended periods of pain. Discomfort indicates poor fit.
- Inspect the outsoles and cushioning materials regularly for signs of excess wear.
- Consider wide size options if you have broader feet or bunions that need more room.
With a legacy spanning over a century, New Balance continues to be a leader in athletic footwear, delivering quality performance and comfort designed with women’s needs in mind. Determining your intended activity, pronation type, fit preferences and style interests helps narrow the wide selection of women’s shoes.
We’ve spotlighted some of New Balance’s top rated women’s models like the 1080v12, 860v12 and 1540v3 that provide versatile performance along with style. Use the tips provided to find the ideal pair to match your active lifestyle and keep you moving in comfort.